Thursday, December 10, 2009

Help Those Around You

While I was sitting in my house during a snow storm yesterday, I saw the TV scrawl that Meals On Wheels in some communities were being canceled due to the weather. It made my heart ache to think while I was warm in my house with plenty, there were people in my community and the ones surrounding that weren’t going to get a meal that day. I don’t blame Meals On Wheels. They have to look out for their drivers and the roads were impassable. But this is the time to reflect on what community and volunteering mean to us.

Volunteering is not just going to the food bank one time a year and helping strangers. Volunteering is looking out for your elderly neighbors to make sure they’re doing OK during a storm. It’s snow blowing the driveway of a single mother who doesn’t own a snow blower. It’s holding the door open for someone in a wheelchair or one crutches. It’s about the small things you do everyday for those around you. So volunteer with an organization, but also look at ways you can help the people around you on a daily basis. It will make your heart feel good.

Trish

No comments: